[MOAB-dev] Entity picking

Roman Putanowicz putanowr at l5.pk.edu.pl
Sat Dec 12 18:20:06 CST 2009

Hi Everybody,

I would like to ask you for advice.

The task is: given a point position find mesh cell containing
that point (or cells in case of boundary point). I understand
that there is a delicacy in the above due to the inexact nature
of geometric queries in double precision arithmetic, but approximate
solution based on some arbitrary tolerance will do.

The question is how the above could be solved using MOAB?

Looking at the class list I noticed MBOrientedBoxTreeTool,
MBAdaptiveKDTree, MBBSPTree classes which probably could be used
for that purpose. (MBCoupler??). The answer depends for sure on
the context -- at the moment I need to pick elements in medium
to small size, unstructured polygonal meshes in 2D.

I will be grateful for any advice or code snippet if somebody has any.

With regards,

Roman
--
Roman Putanowicz  < putanowr at l5.pk.edu.pl  >
Institute for Computational Civil Engng (L-5)