[MOAB-dev] Question about getting entities with tag data

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 24 16:56:10 CDT 2009

Note, this is precisely the kind of functionality that's in the ITAPS plan under "data sorting & searching".  There are
all sorts of ways to do this sort of thing, with various cpu time/memory complexities and tradeoffs.  There are also
many optimizations that can be made, based on characteristics of the data (integers, handles, "density" of handle range,
etc.).  So, the quick answer to the question is no, there isn't a function for this right now; the not-so-quick answer
is that we have plans to fix that eventually, where eventually is sometime in the next two years.

- tim

Paul Wilson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have been digging through the interface and I can't seem to find a
> function that will return an MBRange of entities formed by matching a
> single tag against a set of tag values.  As far as I can tell,
> get_entities_by_type_and_tag will return an MBRange of entities formed
> by matching N tags against N corresponding values, but will not match 1
> tag against M values.
>
> Is there such a function?  If not, is there a recommended way to resolve
> this?  My first attempt was to get each entity one at a time, but that
> is extremely slow.  Perhaps better to get the tag data for all possible
> entities and then throw out the ones that are not needed?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.