[hpc-announce] CFP: REX-IO Workshop at IEEE Cluster 2022 - Submissions due July 1, 2022

Sarah Neuwirth s.neuwirth at em.uni-frankfurt.de
Sun May 22 12:07:40 CDT 2022

**[Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this
email]**

Call for Papers

REX-IO 2022: 2nd Workshop on Re-envisioning Extreme-Scale I/O for
Emerging Hybrid HPC Workloads

Held in conjunction with IEEE Cluster 2022, Heidelberg, Germany.

Workshop Date: September 6, 2022

<https://sites.google.com/view/rexio/>

================================
Scope, Aims, and Topics
================================
High Performance Computing (HPC) applications are evolving to include
not only traditional scale-up modeling and simulation bulk-synchronous
workloads but also scale-out workloads like artificial intelligence
(AI), data analytics methods, deep learning, big data and complex
multi-step workflows. Exascale workflows are projected to include
multiple different components from both scale-up and scale-out
communities operating together to drive scientific discovery and
innovation. With the often conflicting design choices between optimizing
for write-intensive vs. read-intensive, having flexible I/O systems will
be crucial to support these hybrid workloads. Another performance aspect
is the intensifying complexity of parallel file and storage systems in
large-scale cluster environments. Storage system designs are advancing
beyond the traditional two-tiered file system and archive model by
introducing new tiers of temporary, fast storage close to the computing
resources with distinctly different performance characteristics.

The changing landscape of emerging hybrid HPC workloads along with the
ever increasing gap between the compute and storage performance
capabilities reinforces the need for an in-depth understanding of
extreme-scale I/O and for rethinking existing data storage and
management techniques. Traditional approaches of managing data might
fail to address the challenges of extreme-scale hybrid workloads. Novel
I/O optimization and management techniques integrating machine learning
and AI algorithms, such as intelligent load balancing and I/O pattern
prediction, are needed to ease the handling of the exponential growth of
data as well as the complex hierarchies in the storage and file systems.
Furthermore, user-friendly, transparent and innovative approaches are
essential to adapt to the needs of different HPC I/O workloads while
easing the scientific and commercial code development and efficiently
utilizing extreme-scale parallel I/O and storage resources.

Established at IEEE Cluster 2021, the Re-envisioning Extreme-Scale I/O
for Emerging Hybrid HPC Workloads (REX-IO) workshop has created a forum
for experts, researchers, and engineers in the parallel I/O and storage,
compute facility operation, and HPC application domains. REX-IO solicits
novel work that characterizes I/O behavior and identifies the challenges
in scientific data and storage management for emerging HPC workloads,
introduces potential solutions to alleviate some of these challenges,
and demonstrates the effectiveness of the proposed solutions to improve
I/O performance for the exascale supercomputing era and beyond. We
envision that this workshop will contribute to the community and further
drive discussions between storage and I/O researchers, HPC application
users and the data analytics community to give a better in-depth
understanding of the impact on the storage and file systems induced by
emerging HPC applications.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding I/O inefficiencies in emerging workloads such as complex
multi-step workflows, in-situ analysis, AI, and data analytics methods
- New I/O optimization techniques, including how ML and AI algorithms
might be adapted for intelligent load balancing and I/O pattern
prediction of complex, hybrid application workloads
- Performance benchmarking, resource management, and I/O behavior
studies of emerging workloads
- New possibilities for the I/O optimization of emerging application
workloads and their I/O subsystems
- Efficient tools for the monitoring of metadata and storage hardware
statistics at runtime, dynamic storage resource management, and I/O load
balancing
- Parallel file systems, metadata management, and complex data management
- Understanding and efficiently utilizing complex storage hierarchies
beyond the traditional two-tiered file system and archive model
- User-friendly tools and techniques for managing data movement among
compute and storage nodes
- Use of staging areas, such as burst buffers or other private or shared
acceleration tiers for managing intermediate data between computation tasks
- Application of emerging big data frameworks towards scientific
computing and analysis
- Alternative data storage models, including object and key-value
stores, and scalable software architectures for data storage and archive
- Data movement for HPC on edge devices
- Position papers on related topics

================================
Submission Guidelines
================================
All papers must be original and not simultaneously submitted to another
journal or conference. Indicate all authors and affiliations. All papers
will be peer-reviewed using a single-blind peer-review process by at
least three members of the program committee. Submissions should be a
complete manuscript. Full paper submissions should not exceed 6
single-spaced, double-column pages using 10-point size font on 8.5 X 11
inch pages (IEEE conference style,
https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html) including
everything excluding references.

Papers are to be submitted electronically in PDF format through
EasyChair. Submitted papers should not have appeared in or be under
consideration for a different workshop, conference or journal. It is
also expected that all accepted papers will be presented at the workshop
by one of the authors.

All accepted papers (subject to post-review revisions) will be published
in the IEEE Cluster 2022 proceedings.

Submission Link: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=rexio22

================================
Important Dates
================================
- Submissions open: May 3, 2022
- Submission deadline: July 1, 2022, 11:59PM AoE
- Notification to authors: July 20, 2022
- Camera-ready paper due: July 25, 2025
- Workshop date: September 6, 2022

================================
Workshop Committees
================================
Workshop Co-Chairs:
- Arnab K. Paul (BITS Pilani, K K Birla Goa Campus, India) <arnabp AT
goa DOT bits-pilani DOT ac DOT in>
- Sarah M. Neuwirth (Goethe-University Frankfurt, Germany) <s.neuwirth
AT em DOT uni-frankfurt DOT de>
- Jay Lofstead (Sandia National Laboratories, USA) <gflofst AT sandia
DOT gov>

Program Committee:
- Ali Anwar (University of Minnesota, USA)
- Scott Atchley (Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA)
- Jean Luca Bez (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, USA)
- Thomas Boenisch (High-Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS),
Germany)
- Suren Byna (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, USA)
- Phil Carns (Argonne National Laboratory, USA)
- Yue Cheng (Goerge Mason University, USA)
- Wei Der Chien (The University of Edinburgh, UK)
- Hariharan Devarajan (Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, USA)
- Awais Khan (Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA)
- Youngjae Kim (Sogang University, South Korea)
- Julian Kunkel (Georg-August-Universität Göttingen/GWDG, Germany)
- Ricardo Macedo (INESC TEC & University of Minho, Portugal)
- Houjun Tang (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, USA)
- Bing Xie (Oak Ridge National Laboratory, USA)
- Nannan Zhao (Northwestern Polytechnical University, China)
- Mai Zheng (Iowa State University, USA)

Dr. Sarah M. Neuwirth
Goethe-University Frankfurt | Campus Riedberg
Modular Supercomputing and Quantum Computing
FIAS Building | Room 2.403 | Ruth-Moufang-Str. 1
60438 Frankfurt am Main | Germany
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-47533
Email: s.neuwirth at em.uni-frankfurt.de