[hpc-announce] CFP: 2nd Annual BSC/UPC HPC Hackathon - Last mile (awards updated!)

Antonio J. Peña antonio.pena at bsc.es
Mon Oct 16 08:06:58 CDT 2017

/I couldn't stop looking into those enigmatic eyes. We were sitting next
to the bar, facing the dancing floor. The party kept ongoing heavily as
this was the last segment of the Mediterranean bachelor cruise, from
Nice to Barcelona, and the dream-trip for those youngsters was going to
end in about 18 hours. I had "e-met" this person the night before when I
was hacking the cruiser's database to get the list of all the passengers
and their profiles. I was bored. The system was poorly designed and an
old exploit granted me access to what I needed. Once inside the system,
I noticed that I was not the only person who had the same thought. The
message "I was waiting for you." prompted into my terminal. "Who are
you?" I asked, as I was curious to know who was the other hacker in this
cruise. "My name is 'Z'." the other intruder answer. After a couple of
exchanges we set an appointment to meet personally at the cruiser top
level club. I had chosen a place full of people for safety reasons. I
kept wondering who was this person the entire day. Finally the night
arrived and I was sitting in front of 'Z'. "I have a project for you" Z
said. "I am not interested" I replied immediately. Z took a small peace
of paper out of his pocket and handed it to me: "Maybe this will
interest you". There was a six digit number written in it. "What kind of
project?" I asked. "First I need you to pass a test" Z answered. I
didn't like where things were going, but my curiosity wouldn't let me
back-off : "What test?" Z stared at the dance floor, those eyes again,
the floor was full of young people chatting and dancing: "I need you to
write an algorithm the takes the profile of everyone in this crowd and
finds a good match for them. If every one has a match before we arrive
to Barcelona, then I will answer any question you have". I felt like the
paper in my hand was bursting into flames, it was starting to burn my
fingers. The six digits were dancing in my mind. I finished my drink and
I answered: "Game On!"

/
Are you addicted to coding and solving complex problems? Come to the
*2nd Annual BSC/UPC HPC Hackathon* and test your problem solving skills.
In this competition you will be asked to think elegant and efficient
solutions for challenging problems. Time will be your most important
enemy, as you struggle to solve as many problems as possible in a
limited time.

To participate, you will need good coding skills, primarily in C and
shell, but knowledge in other programming languages such as C++ and
python is recommended. You should also be familiar with version control
systems, such as git and mercurial, and have a good knowledge on Unix
systems. You will be asked to solve problems in three different topics:
GPU Computing, Parallel Programming and Software Security. You will be
given access to high-end machines with last generation technology and
high speed network. We will also provide you with food and beverages so
that you can focus on coding.

The hackathon will take place on *Friday November 3rd to Saturday
November 4th, at the UPC Campus Nord - Agora Room
<http://hackathon.bsc.es/logistic>, from 18h to 12h (18 hours)
<http://hackathon.bsc.es/schedule>*. A jury will evaluate the
participants and the winners will take home nice prizes. Among the
prizes, there is a last generation high-end gaming GPU offered by nVidia
and a laptop donated by Intel!

The top participant of the Hackathon will get:

  * 6-months part-time contract to work at BSC (optional).
  * GPU Branch: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 GPU (sponsored by NVIDIA).
  * CPU Branches: Laptop (sponsored by Intel).

Organizing Committee :

  *

    Leonardo Bautista-Gomez (BSC)

  *

    Marc Casas (BSC)

  *

    Antonio J. Peña (BSC/UPC)

Sponsors :

  *

    BSC/UPC NVIDIA GPU Center of Excellence

  * NVIDIA
  * Intel
  *

    HiPEAC

For more information please visit : hackathon.bsc.es

--
Antonio J. Peña, PhD
Sr Researcher & Activity Lead, Computer Sciences Dept | Teaching and Research Staff

http://bsc.es/disclaimer