[Darshan-users] DARSHAN and Open MPI

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Mar 6 12:01:51 CST 2013

On 03/06/2013 12:41 PM, David Shrader wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have DARSHAN working with our mvapich2 1.8 GNU installation and am
> trying to get it to work with a GNU build of Open MPI 1.6.3. The
> building of DARSHAN completes without a problem when I point it to a
> mpicc that is owned by Open MPI 1.6.3, but when I try to run an
> application compiled with Open MPI 1.6.3, I get a seg fault. I know,
> from reading the documentation, that DARSHAN seems to work easier with
> MPICH derivatives; that being said, are there any known issues and/or
> workarounds with trying to use Open MPI? Right now I am using a TOSS2
> machine with dynamic linking (I currently can't do static linking due
> to a missing static version of a system library).
>
> Thank you!
> David

Yes, there is actually a known issue with Darshan and LD_PRELOAD on some
versions of OpenMPI.  You have two options:

a) update to OpenMPI 1.6.4

b) apply the attached patch to Darshan (this is a workaround, only
tested with OpenMPI 1.6.3)

For some more information on why Darshan won't LD_PRELOAD correctly on
OpenMPI 1.6.3, you can have a look at these mailing list threads from
each project:

    http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2013/01/11917.php
http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/darshan-users/2013-January/000128.html

I'll make a note to add this to the documentation; I should have done
that in the last Darshan release.

-Phil