[cgma-dev] Linking issue with iGeom

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 1 15:10:25 CST 2010

Documentation - good.  The general goals should be:
- simple procedure for linking simple applications - this means files that can be included in application makefiles and
make variables that can be added to compile/link lines that pull in iGeom/iMesh stuff
- more complicated support, where warranted, for apps using autoconf/libtool, so that they do the right thing with e.g.
-R options; is this worthwhile, or are we being too optimistic that apps would use this?  Are there equivalent things we
could do to support cmake-based applications?

- tim

Robert Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to summarize the discussion on this list from last week on
> linking to iGeom to create a ticket.  I don't have any of the emails so
> I cannot include them here.  But here is a link to the archive:
>     http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/cgma-dev/2010/thread.html#1051
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is that we need to address.
>
> The original question was on the best way to link applications with iGeom.
>
> There was discussion back and forth on the -R flag and using or not
> using IGEOM_LTFLAGS and IGEOM_LDFLAGS.
> It was noted that the using these variables or other contents of
> iGeom-Defs.inc was probably not a good idea.
>
> It was also noted that overlinking should be avoided with shared libraries.
> And that IGEOM_LDFLAGS gets filled with a lot of extra system
> directories even though these are not specified in the configure command.
>
> It was mentioned that having a MOAB/CGM configure option to install with
> RPATH would be nice.  But it was asked if this already occurs.
>
> Would a good ticket be to update CGM (and MOAB?) documentation/examples
> so that it is more clearly specified how to link new applications with
> iGeom (and iMesh?).
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.
            fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706