[cgma-dev] Linking issue with iGeom

Robert Smith smithrm at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 21 16:15:28 CST 2010

I'm trying to summarize the discussion on this list from last week on
linking to iGeom to create a ticket.  I don't have any of the emails
so I cannot include them here.  But here is a link to the archive:
	http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/cgma-dev/2010/thread.html#1051

I'm not sure what the problem is that we need to address.

The original question was on the best way to link applications with
iGeom.

There was discussion back and forth on the -R flag and using or not
using IGEOM_LTFLAGS and IGEOM_LDFLAGS.
It was noted that the using these variables or other contents of iGeom-
Defs.inc was probably not a good idea.

It was also noted that overlinking should be avoided with shared
libraries.
And that IGEOM_LDFLAGS gets filled with a lot of extra system
directories even though these are not specified in the configure
command.

It was mentioned that having a MOAB/CGM configure option to install
with RPATH would be nice.  But it was asked if this already occurs.

Would a good ticket be to update CGM (and MOAB?) documentation/
examples so that it is more clearly specified how to link new
applications with iGeom (and iMesh?).

Thanks,
Bob