[AG-USERS] Funding model request

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 5 14:40:49 CST 2003

This has also become the single biggest deterant to
using the accessgrid and their facilities.

note: this is merely the opinion of a technical grunt
in the trenches watching the wheels of power rotate...

Let's take my facility as a prime example. ACCESS is a
satellite facility of NCSA and the University of Illinois.
Because of political resaons we are not able to fund
the operations of ACCESS with NSF PACI funding. Many think
that ACCESS has been funded by NSF including many of the
principles at NSF. This is not the case and I believe that has
been a huge mistake on their part. But they have their reasons.
Anyway, because of this funding problem. NCSA determined an
equation based on square footage and operational costs. This
5 yr. model was developed in order to provide a pay for use model
to 'recover' costs. The model also had to show that there
would be no profit being made from the facility fee. This looks
great on paper.

This faciltiy fee model has been very detrimental to
facility and subsequently accessgrid use here. Use of
ACCESS would triple if not quadruple if this fee structure
was not in place. It is a primo facility. (location location location)

I believe, that funding for operations of these types of
facilities should be held transparent to the community which uses
them. Like the costs of the high speed connectivity and the
office space where we sit communicating on our phones and
through our workstations. Operational and facility costs
should be considered the as a part of the  price an organization
pays to conduct buisness (like connectivity, rent and electricity)
Ever wonder how much it costs for each one of us to work
in our offices?

I strongly believe after watching the use of this facility over 4 years
that the benefit from free use will provide opportunities in
new programs to attract funding which will FAR exceed the costs of operation.