[AG-USERS] Hello, introductions

Cindy Sievers sievers at lanl.gov
Thu Feb 27 17:42:43 CST 2003

Hi everyone,

I'm Cindy Sievers from Los Alamos National Laboratory.  We installed an
Access Grid node here in 2000 and have been involved with the Access Grid
community ever since.  We mainly use our node for
meetings/conferences/seminars/classes. We are currently offering a UNM
graduate level course over the Grid to students locally as well as students
at UNM Albuquerque, Sandia NM & Sandia Livermore.  Jeff Shuckra from UNM
didn't mention in his introduction that he sings to the students before the
class starts, and is becoming somewhat of a legend....:):) Always good
interactions happening on the Grid!

Future proposals here at LANL include building an additional Access Grid
node for use with an experimental end-to-end prototype of Grid-based
visualization service. The plan is to run the AG through a power wall and
display all sorts of vizualizations and graphics.

One of the issues I see is that as the AG grows, so does the usage and
demands of users.  I think a lot of the institutions are struggling with
how to charge for the facility and operators and  how to set user
priorities.  Balancing an operational node against the ever changing
research aspects of the grid becomes a bigger challenge as the grid grows
and matures.  Hopefully, this is a forum for discussion of these types of
topics.

The AG has been a lot of fun, always a learning curve, but best of all it's
a great community of people!

Cindy Sievers           Los Alamos National Laboratory
sievers at lanl.gov        Group CCS-1 MS B287
tel:505.665.6602        Advanced Computing
fax:505.665.4939        Los Alamos, NM 87544