[AG-USERS] Hello, introductions

Ed Ritenour erritenour at lbl.gov
Thu Feb 27 17:26:41 CST 2003

Hello all

I manage the Videoconference and AG node at Berkeley Lab. Our node was setup
in the early days as well by the Visualization group as a collaboration test
bed for Computing Sciences. About a year ago the AG node operation was moved
to the Videoconferencing Services Group in the Networking and
Telecommunication Department Information Technologies Services Division in the
hope of one day providing another useful collaboration tool for our
researchers.  The technical staff, all non developers, have been hard at work
learning about the technology, hardware, software and nuances that go along
with the operation of a node. We have two technicians who operate the node,
Lloyd and Mike, who also do all the testing and troubleshooting. It is their
smiling faces you see during the testing process of each meeting. All of us
can be reached at ag at lbl.gov as well as our reservation coordinator, Martin.
We too are still operating in a informal mode, so far limiting advertising to
Computing Sciences but allow others to use if requested. As I said our goal is
to eventually operate the node as a standard service and the operation is free
to all now. We still work closely with the Visualization staff who originally
setup the room, as well as, both the internal and external Networking staff.
We are fortunate enough to have Esnet staff located at the Lab as well as have
a top notch internal network staff  who are willing to assist others when
network issues  come up. Everyone has been working together to document, post
and resolve the many protocol issues on both the Cisco and Juniper routers to
make the technology a reliable service. What I hope to see come out of the
users group is standard methods of operation and backup plans between
operators that would help ensure successful meetings even when there are
problems associated the network or individual audio issues, as well as,
suggestions to reduce efforts required of operators that can be incorporated
into new releases of the AG, such as AG 2 which is now in its Alpha state.

Maybe in a few weeks Mary can announce a kick off meeting.
Hope to see you soon.
Ed

--
Ed Ritenour                                                         Phone:
510-486-5754