[AG-USERS] Hello, introductions

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 27 14:34:29 CST 2003

Hi Jennifer,

I tried to query the list to see who's on it, but without success.

Anyway, I, too, have been involved with the AG for quite a while.  I think
there were only two nodes . . . both of them at Argonne across the hall
from one another when I became involved.  ;-)  Initially, as an organizer
of the Alliance Chautauqua series--and then as we expanded the AG nodes
with a grant from NSF/EPSCoR to a faction of the Alliance (6 EPSCoR states)
to serve as a testbed for Argonne's development efforts.  I marketed,
recruited, arranged technical training for, managed events and sessions,
and generally assisted EPSCoR the states in their efforts to participate in
the AG community.  The AG was being accepted and the number of AGs
increased slowly as the technology was being developed.  At SC01 in Denver,
a group of dedicated people worked very hard in featuring SC Global, the
Access Grid sprang to life seemingly overnight with the success of the
Global Showcase on the Exhibit floor and participation from around the
world.  The amazing community that is currently participating in the
further development of the AG includes the active participation of a truly
international group of people.

The AG has been a lot of hard work . . . and great fun!

Barbara
-------------

At 02:15 PM 2/27/2003 -0500, Jennifer Teig von Hoffman wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>Since this is a new list, and we haven't before tried to gather
>non-technical AG users in this sort of way, I'm very curious to hear who's
>joined the list and in what ways you're using the AG. So, I'd like to
>encourage everybody to send a little mail by way of introduction.
>
>As for myself, I was an early adopter of the AG in the summer of 99, when
>we were planning for the Alliance Chautauqua conference series and
>starting to bring the first few nodes online. I've been involved in
>managing events of all sizes, and am currently leading SC Global
>(http://www.scglobal.org/) and the AG Documentation Project
>(http://www.accessgrid.org/agdp/). I also manage BU's AG facility
>(http://scv.bu.edu/accessgrid/); we're still operating in a rather
>informal fashion, but playing around with the idea of eventually
>formalizing our operations, with written policies and such.
>
>So how about you? Who's out there, and what are you involved with
>regarding the AG?
>
>Cheers,
>Jennifer Teig von Hoffman
>Project Manager
>Scientific Computing and Visualization
>Boston University
>jtvh at bu.edu

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/NSF EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - Edsger W. Dijkstra, computer science professor