[AG-TECH] Support for IPv6

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 10 09:27:13 CST 2011

Hi,

We enabled AccessGrid for IPv6 access in 2005 under the 6Net project. See:
http://www-mice.cs.ucl.ac.uk/6net/

The AG patches are clearly pretty old and probably won't work but the
general idea was that we created a AG-proxy entity which proxied the
AG SOAP calls and appropriately converted the room addressing from
IPv4 to IPv6 and then employed the IPv4-IPv4 gateway mentioned on that
page.

As Andrew mentions you can use embedded RP - there are a few software
IPv6 router implementations out there - e.g. pim6d, Quagga, Xorp and
probably others. You can also just use provider based IPv6 multicast
addressing - either way you'll need IPv6 Rendezvous ponut set up - or
you can just connect/peer with the m6bone (though I'm not sure how
active it is now). There's also some other providers playing ip6
mcast:
http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=multicast

Piers