[AG-TECH] Support for IPv6

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jan 10 08:53:08 CST 2011

Hi,

I looked into this a while ago.  I didn't get it working, but did get some insights into the difference between multicast in IPv4 and IPv6.  What I found out is that in IPv6, the rendezvous point can be embedded into the multicast address.  This means that you need to know someone who has an IPv6 multicast rendezvous point (note that this is probably going to be an IPv6 router, rather than a software solution) and then ask them for some addresses that you can use (in IPv4, the addresses were assigned by IANA, but in v6, the RP owner assigns them I think).  See:
http://blog.ine.com/2010/03/28/embedded-rp-ipv6-multicast-tips-and-tricks-part-3/

If you want to cross-communicate with IPv4 and IPv6, you need a special bridge that can translate between the two (which also introduces a bottleneck).  This would then be in both the IPv4 and IPv6 venues.  I guess you could set up a series of addresses with a translation between them, or else just assign both an IPv4 and IPv6 address to each venue and create a bridge for each venue with each pair.  As far as I am aware, there is no automatic routing between IPv4 and IPv6.

I did get to the point where I had a series of IPv6 multicast addresses, but then ran out of time getting beyond this.

Hope this helps,

Andrew :)

   Andrew G D Rowley
   Senior Development Officer