[AG-TECH] Access Grid 3.2 for Mac OS X 10.5 but not (yet) 10.6

Terry McGuire tmcguire at ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 7 16:11:54 CDT 2010

Fwiw, I too have managed to get the non-beta AG 3.2 running on Snow Leopard.  The RAT in the beta didn't work for me, but the non-beta AG 3.2 must have a Snow Leopard-compatible RAT now.

The rest of the fixes required (new VIC, and a few other bits), were sorted out for the beta soon after Snow Leopard was released.  Doug Kosivic provided instructions on this list at the time, and I just followed them again with the non-beta 3.2.  Not sure if they were all required, but, as he mentioned, at least the new VIC is required.

Here are Doug's instructions:

> Snow Leopard comes with both Python 2.5 and 2.6, so with a bit of modifications I was able to get the Intel AG 3.2 beta to work, here are the steps:
>
> After installing Intel AG 3.2 beta, download the following patch file:
>  http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/ag3/macosx/10.6/AG-3.2-beta-patch.txt
>
> Then on the command-line:
>
>  cd /Applications
>  sudo patch -p0 < ~/AG-3.2-beta-patch.txt
>
> The assumes the patch file was downloaded to the home dir (i.e ~/ ), change appropriately if downloaded elsewhere.
>
> The patch replaces the existing shebang first line with #!/usr/bin/python2.5 and python2 with pythonw2.5 in a number of files.
>
> The VIC that comes with AG 3.2 beta doesn't seem to work. After running the VenueClient at least once, download a newer vic built on Snow Leopard from:
> http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/ag3/macosx/10.6/vic
>
> then copy it to one or more of the following locations:
>  ~/.Accessgrid3/VideoConsumerService/
>  ~/.Accessgrid3/VideoService/
>  ~/.Accessgrid3/VideoProducerService/

Take care to *download* the files - don't just click on them, as they'll just load in your web browser window.  Alternately, download, decompress and mount this disk image file:

http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/ag3/macosx/10.6/AG32beta-patch-vic.dmg.bz2

It includes both the above files.

These fixes seem relatively minor, which suggests that an 'official' AG 3.2 release for Snow Leopard shouldn't be hard to do.  Hopefully this means that we'll see it soon.

And, if it isn't implied, thanks much to you, Doug, for these fixes.

Terry McGuire