[AG-TECH] VPCscreen behaviour

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 18 20:44:31 CDT 2010

On 19/03/2010, at 4:34 AM, D'ANFRAY Philippe wrote:

[snip]

> 2) By the way... is this related to a strange behaviour in
> VPCscreen. I posted something some times ago
> and the fact is that vpcscreen can only be received if the sender
> uses a bridge. When we use multicast
> only "local" clients (on the same site) are able to receive the
> corresponding video stream.
> This behavior can be reproduced here on two differents sites (CEA
> and Ecole Polytechnique)

Philippe,

I don't believe the strange vpcscreen behaviour is related to the
faulty recent Ubuntu ag-vic package.

In fact the strange vpcscreen behaviour has been known for some time -
however strange behaviour that we know about is somewhat different to
what you describe here. What we have found is that provided you are
using multicast, its OK to run vpcscreen along with other AG services,
including vic. All such services work through bridges - I have just
retested this scenario - provided the sending site is using multicast.
The only known strange behaviour occurs when the sending site is using
a bridge; in that case, vpcscreen cannot run on a machine which is
also using an ordinary video service.

Could you recheck your problem case please? Try running vpcscreen and
a VideoService on a machine running multicast (don't try to run a
bridge on this machine). You say that a local client can see both the
video & vpcsreen streams; if that client machine now uses a bridge,
can it still see both streams?

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland