[AG-TECH] ClearOne Converge to Room Audio

William Alberto Romero Ramirez wil-rome at uniandes.edu.co
Tue Mar 9 01:29:14 CST 2010

Ian,

I've got some experience tuning the sound system with:

- ClearOne RAV 600 and Converge 560
- 12-channel compact mixer (Alesis MultiMix)
- Audio-Technica AT849, Sennheiser e901, Shure SM58

But, it is necessary some sound engineering.

If you have a good mixer and mics, you don't need the ClearOne unit. It's possible  to send the computer audio to the mixer ( Male 1/8” (3.5mm) to Male 1/4" ), and send the microphones audio from the mixer to the computer using a Mixer aux-output channel . An unidirectional-cardioid mic (Sennheiser e901, Shure SM58,...) rejects sounds from the rear part, so you can avoid the feedback (the cause of echo) if you set the mic behind the speakers.  Normally, the rooms or auditoriums with a sound system installed (mixer and speakers) wil have this setup. Also, I have had AG sessions in auditoriums with an equaliser unit with feedback control system, so that improves the sound quality.

On the other hand, I built and adaptor cable to send the computer audio to the mixer through the ClearOne device (in order to use the ClearOne microphones); in the case of RAV 600 and Converge 560, I had to strip the sheath off the wire on one side of the cable, and on the other side solder a Male 1/4  plug.

If you are using powered speakers, you must use the mixer between the ClearOne device and the speakers, otherwise it's possible to damage the amplification on the output circuit in the ClearOne.

if you need any additional information, please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Cheers,

William A. Romero R.    <http://www.waromero.com>

The Australian e-Health Research Centre
CSIRO ICT Centre