[AG-TECH] Sending audio/video/desktop from Access Grid PCs to traditional conferencing systems (Tandberg, Polycom)

Lloyd Pearson lloyd.pearson at otago.ac.nz
Wed Mar 3 21:53:38 CST 2010

Hello Quang Tran,

We have used Sony EVI-100P cameras connected using composite video captured through a Spectra8 capture card and also using the S-video output captured using a "Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator" Model F5U228. (The Belkin device captures composite or S-video to USB.)
Image quality was significantly better via the S-video and Belkin than with the composite video into the Spectra8 card.

However the cable quality in both cases was highly significant for image quality: Composite was close to S-video quality when a high quality coax cable was used, but very much poorer when audio type RCA-Phono leads were used.
S-video quality was also very noticeably affected by cable quality. Of four S-video cables tested, all about 6m long and with molded connectors, the quality varied from excellent to poor. The better two of these cables were about 8mm in diameter, the poorer two were about 5mm. I don't know the construction of any of these, but twin-coax is almost certainly going to be better than simple 4-core.

We have used Mirial for H.323 communication on our Access Grid PC's running Windows XP.  It has one significant problem:  When using the Spectra8 capture card, the maximum resolution available is 352 x 288.  No similar restriction when using the Belkin device whether capturing composite or S-video.

We have been unable to use multiple Belkin devices successfully on one PC - a second Belkin tends to drop frames and give jerky video, but I haven't investigated this in any detail.

Regards,
Lloyd Pearson
AVCC Operator
University of Otago