[AG-TECH] HD vic on Linux

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 10 20:15:12 CDT 2010

On 11/08/2010, at 1:24 AM, Richard Palmer wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>
>> Neither of these projects is still being actively developed. Perhaps
>> more importantly, neither works on all AG supported platforms so is
>> unlikely to become widely used.
>
> Ah, right. I was fooled by the 'Recent Projects' link in the wiki.
>
>> There is currently a major effort to support the Blackmagic cards
>> within the "real" vic code. In fact there's pretty workable support
>> already in the svn version. The most recent Slackware and Ubuntu AG
>> releases already use that code for vic if you want to play with it.
>> but don't want to retrieve and and build from svn yourself. Be aware
>> that there is no AG video service yet for this device so, for now,
>> you'll have to run the HDMI supporting vic stand alone
>
> Of course, I should have gone to the source! (Although the developer
> link is quite well hidden). I'll check the code out and try to get it
> running on our server (we're running Debian so perhaps the Ubuntu
> packages will build/work?).

Richard,

I just made a quick build of the latest vic for amd64 lenny. Its at:
     http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/debuntu/lenny/ag-vic2.8ucl_1.4.0r4876_amd64.deb
An i386 version should be there fairly soon too.

I haven't been able to check it fully since its a holiday here today
and I don't have a lenny machine with the blackmagic driver installed.
It needs dkms which isn't available for lenny although I believe
there's a package in progress for squeeze. Anyway if you've resolved
all that already, then the package above may work. You'll have to use
dpkg to install it as I haven't properly added to our repo until I can
test it more thoroughly.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland