[AG-TECH] Is there a maximum number of nodes or streams that AGcan support?

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Tue Sep 1 18:03:31 CDT 2009

G'day Richard and All

With the increase in computer capacity, I generally find there are 2
practical limitations these days to "how many streams can you view,
etc".

The first one is obviously "Network", the more streams the more
bandwidth required.  Obviously there are High Def streams and all that
as well, but if you have access to fast, high capacity networks, this
isn't as big of an issue.

The other limitation is what I like to call "desktop real-estate".  How
many streams can you actually fit up on the screen...  If you are using
a single monitor, then I would say you would be limited when compared to
using multiple (3 or more) display screens.

I have been fortunate enough to have participated in a SC Global session
where at one stage I counted 72 different AG nodes (given some were
transmitting multiple streams, I would say the number was over 100
different video streams) coming from 17 different countries.  It should
also be noted that this was back at least 3 or more years ago...  So
hopefully, this gives you an idea of the AG's capability.

Also, I think a scalability test would also be good to "stress test"
sites and connections.

Cheers,

Jason.