[AG-TECH] Jabber Fixed (was: Re: Jabber Connection Failure?)

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Wed Oct 7 23:54:01 CDT 2009

On 08/10/2009, at 1:58 PM, Lloyd Pearson wrote:

> Hello Eric and others,
>
> I was not particularly aware of the current problems, but over the
> last couple of months I have had several instances where jabber
> shows no incoming or sent text on the local PC from when AG was
> started. No advisory error message has ever shown.  In most cases
> typed messages were sent correctly but nothing was received.
> Restarting AG usually cured, but on some occasions 3 or 4 AG
> restarts were necessary.  Most times the problem occurred very soon
> after the PC had been powered, but 2 or 3 times it occurred when AG
> was started 3-4hrs after an earlier AG session without the PC being
> rebooted.  I have seen it on another similar PC on a couple of
> occasions. A few other NZ universities have had the same problem but
> generally not concurrent with an occurrence here.
> A restart of AG is very disruptive to a conference, and of course
> the node that most needs to read jabber is the presenting node.
> Is there a way of starting jabber without restarting AG?

LLoyd,

What version of the AG toolkit are you using?

Some time ago, code was introduced in the VenueClient for the jabber
component to reconnect to the server if it was disconnected for some
reason. We previously had many disconnections like you - the
VenueClient would continue to run normally but without any chat.
However since that code was added, I can't remember the last time we
had a complete disconnection problem like you describe. Of course that
new code is no use if the jabber server itself is stuck, as happened
today, but I don't think thats the cause of the more general problem
you're describing.

Anyway, the question about toolkit version is really about whether you
have a version recent enough to include the reconnection code.

chris

> Running WinXP SP3.
>
> Regards,
>
> Lloyd Pearson
> AVCC Operator
> University of Otago
> Ph +64 3 479 8997
> lloyd.pearson at otago.ac.nz

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland