[AG-TECH] Jabber Fixed (was: Re: Jabber Connection Failure?)

Lloyd Pearson lloyd.pearson at otago.ac.nz
Wed Oct 7 22:58:41 CDT 2009

Hello Eric and others,

I was not particularly aware of the current problems, but over the last couple of months I have had several instances where jabber shows no incoming or sent text on the local PC from when AG was started. No advisory error message has ever shown.  In most cases typed messages were sent correctly but nothing was received. Restarting AG usually cured, but on some occasions 3 or 4 AG restarts were necessary.  Most times the problem occurred very soon after the PC had been powered, but 2 or 3 times it occurred when AG was started 3-4hrs after an earlier AG session without the PC being rebooted.  I have seen it on another similar PC on a couple of occasions. A few other NZ universities have had the same problem but generally not concurrent with an occurrence here.
A restart of AG is very disruptive to a conference, and of course the node that most needs to read jabber is the presenting node.
Is there a way of starting jabber without restarting AG?

Running WinXP SP3.

Regards,

Lloyd Pearson
AVCC Operator