[AG-TECH] THU 19th 3:30 pm EST Using HPC Tools Servers for Systems Administration, Syd Pendelberry, ITS, RIT

Gurcharan S. Khanna gskpop at cis.rit.edu
Tue Feb 17 14:46:47 CST 2009

Ben,

You're absolutely right and I agree with you 100%.

I apologize for leaving out the full URL to the RIT VV. Here it is:

https://vv3.mcs.anl.gov:8000/Venues/8cdd226521d429b68e7e8c0158a6a663

I'm not certain what I need to do to include the IOCOM users??? Please explain further.

Shared presentations are a separate frustration for me. The options of trying to install something
on the presenters laptop or maintaining a separate machine for running the presenters slides so
that it doesn't interfere with my AG control and is compatible with the presenters application (the
last one was Mac Keynote with embedded Quicktime) or choosing between VNC or ScreenStreamer
or whatever all seem like too complex a set of options for what often is a last minute need to fulfill.

The only option i see is going straight from the presenter's laptop via VGA or DVI to a common vic.
I'm trying to figure this out quickly because I feel I haven't captured the presenter's presentation
very well and my archives looks terrible. I'm thinking, vga to scaler to HDMI on win/mac to a vic
that can handle 1080 (H.264?) to take care of any desktop. Since i really want to do uncompressed
HD with
anyway :-) , this fits in with that goal, too!

Presently, I'm trying to shoot the projection or LCD screen with a camera and encoding it with vic264.
But the 264 vic still doesn't look that good (due to composite signal going into Videum card? would
it be better if it could read the Firewire or USB instead???).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-gurcharan

Ben Green wrote:
 > Hi Gurcharan,
 >
 > Both these AG seminars look really interesting, but I don't think anyone here in the UK uses NCSA.
 >
 > Is it possible for you to post the full meeting AG Toolkit URL ? However, this would still
exclude IOCOM users. We have 100's of registered IOCOM users here in the UK. many involved in HPC.
Ideally you'd publicise a Virtual Venue. And I presume there will be shared presentations for these
seminars as well ?

 > I know this sounds obvious, but what stops us all sharing a couple of international VVs for
worldwide seminars ?

 > We really need an international virtual venue that all worldwide venue servers will offer. I'm
sure this was done in the past, but has since become forgotten. I heard a couple of years ago that
many VV on the ANL servers changed IP address, which prevented our UK servers from connecting to
meetings at the same VV room name.
 > Tom, please can you let me know the details of any ANL virtual venues that haven't ever changed
(and will never change), and we can try to map the UK Toolkit and IOCOM servers with the same details.

 > Regards, Ben.

Gurcharan S. Khanna
 > Sent: 15 February 2009 23:28
 > To: ag-tech
 > Subject: [AG-TECH] THU 19th 3:30 pm EST Using HPC Tools Servers for Systems Administration, Syd
Pendelberry, ITS, RIT

 > http://agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu/meetingdetails.asp?MID=25469
 >
 > RIT Venue on ANL server
 >
 > With an ever increasing focus on security, services (OpenLDAP, Active Directory, etc...) are run
on servers with a minimum OS footprint and centrally managed. The tools servers that provide a
central management platform can be leveraged in a high performance computing (HPC) environment to
reduce the time for long running maintenance tasks. The HPC environment gains efficiencies in power
consumption and server utilization. This is especially true for maintenance of large directories
with millions of objects.

 > Since RFC 4120, the widespread acceptance of Kerberos version 5 and most recently the Kerberos
Consortium, authenticated HPC has enabled the secure running of jobs that would otherwise be
restricted to one server.
 > This talk will provide an overview of Windows 2008 HPC and an example how to code and enable
delegation for authenticating jobs in an HPC environment.

Sciences http://people.rit.edu/gskpop

of Cyberinfrastructure http://icelab.rit.edu

--
-------------------------
Gurcharan S. Khanna, Ph.D.
Director of Research Computing
Office of the Vice President for Research
http://rc.rit.edu

Assistant Research Professor, Ph.D. Program
Golisano College of Computing and Information Sciences
http://people.rit.edu/gskpop

Founding Director, Interactive Collaboration Environments Laboratory
Center for Advancing the Study of Cyberinfrastructure
http://icelab.rit.edu
---
Rochester Institute of Technology
IT Collaboratory Bldg. 17, Room 3119