[AG-TECH] IDS FALCONquattro with 64bit RHEL5

Fred Dech fdech at uchicago.edu
Sun Aug 23 21:06:44 CDT 2009

hi Doug,

thanks for the useful information.  some comments and info below:

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:08AM, Douglas Kosovic wrote:
> Hi Fred,
>
> I think the issue is that the card isn't getting identified correctly by
> the bttv driver, so is probably falling back to a default setting which
> isn't applicable to your card. You would most likely also have the same
> issue with 32bit linux and that card.
>
> What card does vic say it is? You can also run 'dmesg' to see what card
> the bttv thinks it is.

dmesg gives the follow output for /dev/video0 (UNKNOWN/GENERIC sounds like
improper id as you suggest):

bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
GSI 29 sharing vector 0xEA and IRQ 29
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:07:01.0[A] -> GSI 36 (level, low) -> IRQ 234
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:07:01.0, irq: 234, latency: 132, mmio: 0xd8000000
bttv0: using:  *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC ***  [card=0,autodetected]
bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00cf60ff [init]
bttv0: using tuner=-1
bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9887 @ 0x86... not found
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0

> You could add a line in /etc/modprobe.conf to tell the bttv driver what
> card it is (i.e. card number values), much like with this quad input
> card:
>   http://www.accessgrid.org/node/1794

this looks pretty straightforward.

> the card number values can be found in the CARDLIST.bttv file here:
>    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Bttv_devices_(bt848,_bt878)

i'll read through this and pass it and my suggestions on to our support
team.  i don't have sudo on these systems yet.

and i'll let you know how we make out.
thanks again.

--fred