[AG-TECH] System freezes sending video on Linux w/ IVC-200 capture card

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Wed Apr 22 00:13:27 CDT 2009

On 22/04/2009, at 5:42 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:

> 2009/4/20 Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au>
>
> On 21/04/2009, at 3:47 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> After some testing we've seen this happen with multiple IVCs and
> multiple machines - at any rate, we don't have any more spare linux
> boxes to test with. I have a feeling it might be related to Ubuntu's
> CPU frequency scaling though, as I've never seen it freeze when I
> manually set it to use the maximum clock speed. What are the clock
> settings on your machine?
>

>> Andrew,
>>
>> Did you roll your own kernel? When I tried to add the cpu frequency
>> scaler applet, it reports that I don't have it set in the kernel -
>> since I try to keep our build machines as standard as possible
>> (i.e. only latest supplied kernels) and if frequency scaling is
>> working for you, I'm guessing you have a non-standard kernel. In
>> that case I suggest you revert to a standard kernel to test whether
>> the freeze effect goes away. Either the  frequency scaling itself
>> or the change of some other kernel option may be causing the freeze
>> effect; reverting to a standard kernel could rule those changes out
>> as the cause.
>>

> Nope, standard kernel - one machine is a clean install of x86
> Intrepid, the other is also x86 Intrepid that's been upgraded from
> Gutsy. What kind of CPUs do you have in your machines? I'm guessing
> Ubuntu automatically detects on install - for example, it's also
> automatically enabled on my laptop, which has a Core 2 Duo. It looks
> like it functions through a variety of kernel modules depending on
> type of processor - "powernow-k8" for Opterons, for example. I'm
> going to try disabling that module to see if that does what I want.

Andrew,

It looks like ability to control the cpu speed via the applet is
determined by a BIOS setting. The intrepid machine here (with Core 2
Quad) has a Dell BIOS. In the Performance section of the BIOS, the
SpeedStep setting was set to Off - in that mode I was unable to set
the cpu speed with the frequency scaler applet. When I turned it On, I
was able to make the adjustments you mentioned. Setting it back to Off
returns it to its 100% usage mode.

On another (AMD) machine with PhoenixBIOS, that setting is in the
Hammer section of the Advanced settings. Enabling the AMD PowerNOW!
entry allows adjustment with the scaler applet; disabling that setting
returns it to 100% mode.

chris

>> In my case, without frequency scaling enabled in the kernel, the
>> scaler applet works in read only mode. From that, I could see that
>> the clock setting is set to 100%.
>>
>> BTW it looks from the applet like the frequency scaling could be
>> set to different values on different cores of a multicore machine -
>> that may also contribute to the freezing.
>
> No - if you set a speed for a core the displayed speed for the other
> cores on the same processor will change correspondingly.
>
> --Andrew
>

> chris

>>> Andrew,
>>>
>>> We've now had this setup (32bit Ubuntu 8.10 with IVC-200G
>>> streaming 3x mpeg4 streams @ 704x576) running continuously for
>>> over three days now without any discernible problem. That result
>>> suggests a hardware issue with your capture card (or even the
>>> machine itself).
>>>

>>> chris
>>>

>> You could try reseating the card - maybe some dust or contact
>> oxidation is creating some bad effect? Do you have any similar
>> capture cards lying around you could temporarily replace the IVC
>> with? That may indicate whether you have a card fault or machine/OS
>> fault.
>>

>> chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland