[AG-TECH] System freezes sending video on Linux w/ IVC-200 capture card

Andrew Ford acf0659 at rit.edu
Tue Apr 21 14:42:31 CDT 2009

2009/4/20 Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au>

> On 21/04/2009, at 3:47 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:
>
>  Hi Chris,
>>
>> After some testing we've seen this happen with multiple IVCs and multiple
>> machines - at any rate, we don't have any more spare linux boxes to test
>> with. I have a feeling it might be related to Ubuntu's CPU frequency scaling
>> though, as I've never seen it freeze when I manually set it to use the
>> maximum clock speed. What are the clock settings on your machine?
>>

> Andrew,
>
> Did you roll your own kernel? When I tried to add the cpu frequency scaler
> applet, it reports that I don't have it set in the kernel - since I try to
> keep our build machines as standard as possible (i.e. only latest supplied
> kernels) and if frequency scaling is working for you, I'm guessing you have
> a non-standard kernel. In that case I suggest you revert to a standard
> kernel to test whether the freeze effect goes away. Either the  frequency
> scaling itself or the change of some other kernel option may be causing the
> freeze effect; reverting to a standard kernel could rule those changes out
> as the cause.

Nope, standard kernel - one machine is a clean install of x86 Intrepid, the
other is also x86 Intrepid that's been upgraded from Gutsy. What kind of
CPUs do you have in your machines? I'm guessing Ubuntu automatically detects
on install - for example, it's also automatically enabled on my laptop,
which has a Core 2 Duo. It looks like it functions through a variety of
kernel modules depending on type of processor - "powernow-k8" for Opterons,
for example. I'm going to try disabling that module to see if that does what
I want.

In my case, without frequency scaling enabled in the kernel, the scaler
> applet works in read only mode. From that, I could see that the clock
> setting is set to 100%.
>
> BTW it looks from the applet like the frequency scaling could be set to
> different values on different cores of a multicore machine - that may also
> contribute to the freezing.

No - if you set a speed for a core the displayed speed for the other cores
on the same processor will change correspondingly.

--Andrew