[AG-TECH] sending vic pre-encoded video

Andrew Ford acf0659 at rit.edu
Mon Apr 20 13:30:23 CDT 2009

2009/2/12 Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au>

> On 12/02/2009, at 7:07 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:
>
>  Hi Chris,
>>
>> If not taking video from a camera, what about a hardware 264 encoding
>> card? I would imagine the latency could be lower - do you think vic would be
>> able to take video from one?
>>

> Andrew,
>
> I thinks there would still be some programming effort required since (I'm
> guessing) it would probably be producing some raw h264 video stream rather
> than an RTP stream (much like the mpeg2 encoded HDV camera video which has
> to be wrapped as an RTP stream).
>
> Do you have any particular candidate 264 encoding card(s) in mind?

Lately we've been looking at the Firecoder (
http://desktop.grassvalley.com/products/FireCoder/index.php), since we'd
like to go with Firewire to avoid the aliasing and loss of resolution from
analog. However, it's not clear as to whether this actually functions as an
input device (ie as a DirectShow filter?) that would be accessible to
programs like vic. Does anyone have any experience with this card or similar
ones? Ideally it would also be usable with VLC or the like for webcasting
purposes.

Also, Chris, how much coding work do you think would it be to adapt the
preexisting RTP packetizing of HDV in UQ vic to work with mpeg4 like this?

--Andrew