[AG-TECH] sending vic pre-encoded video

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Mon Apr 20 18:34:18 CDT 2009

On 21/04/2009, at 4:30 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:

>> 2009/2/12 Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au>
>>
>>> On 12/02/2009, at 7:07 AM, Andrew Ford wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Chris,
>>>
>>> If not taking video from a camera, what about a hardware 264
>>> encoding card? I would imagine the latency could be lower - do you
>>> think vic would be able to take video from one?
>>

>> Andrew,
>>
>> I thinks there would still be some programming effort required
>> since (I'm guessing) it would probably be producing some raw h264
>> video stream rather than an RTP stream (much like the mpeg2 encoded
>> HDV camera video which has to be wrapped as an RTP stream).
>>
>> Do you have any particular candidate 264 encoding card(s) in mind?
>
> Lately we've been looking at the Firecoder (http://desktop.grassvalley.com/products/FireCoder/index.php
> ), since we'd like to go with Firewire to avoid the aliasing and
> loss of resolution from analog. However, it's not clear as to
> whether this actually functions as an input device (ie as a
> DirectShow filter?) that would be accessible to programs like vic.
> Does anyone have any experience with this card or similar ones?
> Ideally it would also be usable with VLC or the like for webcasting
> purposes.
>
> Also, Chris, how much coding work do you think would it be to adapt
> the preexisting RTP packetizing of HDV in UQ vic to work with mpeg4
> like this?

Andrew,

Wild guess is a couple of weeks - depending a lot on familiarity with
the code structure. Hopefully there could be a lot of cut & paste from
UCL vic.

I had a quick look at the FireCoder web page and although it mentions
DV & HDV input via firewire, the largest supported resolution actually
specified is only 720x480/576 i.e. NTSC/PAL DV, _not_ HDV (where the
real advantage would have been).

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland