[AG-TECH] Disconnections (was: AG bridge woes)

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Sun Nov 2 20:24:21 CST 2008

On 03/11/2008, at 10:15 AM, Gurcharan S. Khanna wrote:

> all,
>
> i have to agree with jeremy's point, that to the outside world and
> the 'powers that be',
> that this kind of behavior makes AG look unstable, unreliable, and
> dubious to invest in.
> it's certainly something that ought to rise in priority to 'fix' as
> otherwise it will remain an
> obstacle to wider acceptance and even funding.
>
> on a related note, i continue to experience venue clients needing
> to be restarted or venues
> re-entered every day or so. i leave my nodes up and in the venue
> 24/7 in public places but
> that means as likely as not, the public sees error messages instead
> of nice video. i too have
> started to re-started the whole machine to make sure it's up and
> running, but this is surely
> a workaround to a more basic problem that the system is not robust
> or reliable. it's especially
> difficult since i have 6-7 nodes on campus and am trying to deploy
> more.

Gurcharan,

I believe this particular issue of VenueClients disconnecting (or
being disconnected) can be fixed by upgrading to accessgrid3.2. Our
UQVislab node which is up 24/7 has never had this problem since
running the 3.2 version. On the other hand, 2 other machines in a
special test environment and still running 3.1 are regularly
disconnected. I've just now updated one of them to 3.2 to try to
confirm that the issue is fixed after upgrading; I'm pretty confident
though.

chris

> anything we can do to address and fix this would surely help AG
> survive and thrive.
>
> -gurcharan
>
> Jason Bell wrote:
>> G'day Jeremy
>>
>> I honestly cannot explain why I need to do "regular" restarts, I just
>> find that if I do, the bridge is more stable and more reliable.
>>
>> For us, it is better that every time a person wants to connect to the
>> bridge, that the bridge is up and running.
>>
>> Sorry I cannot be anymore helpful!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jason.

Christoph Willing                        +617 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland