[AG-TECH] h.264 vic

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Fri May 2 12:27:00 CDT 2008

Hi Gurchan,

>  i'm trying to set up the h.264 enabled vic in an AG node in Kosovo for a
>  large event tomorrow at RIT.
>
>  there are both audio and video problems but i will just try to fix the
> video
>  for now. when i enable the h.264 service as the only video service at all,
>  i get a thumbnail of not only the 264 stream but all the received streams
>  from the venue, even though i'm not running any consumer service. and
>  the bandwidth that goes along with it, muted or not. i'm bandwidth
> challenged
>  in Kosovo, and just want to run the 264 vic only.
>
>  why am i receiving video when i am not running a consumer service?

VIC will display any video sent to - you need to make sur evic isn't
being set any video - this is
easier said than done most or the time as AG usually operates in that way.

If you're running VIC with multicast you can get it no receive video
by runnig it with the following option:
vic -X "noMulticastBind=true" addr/port

VIC sends and receives as default. If you're running it on unicast
then you need to get the gateway to
not send you the video. If you have access to the gateway machine you
could hack it by adding a firewall
rule block traffic coming back to you machine.

>  can i run the 264 vic standalone from the cmd line? where is it? or how
>  do i do that?

On windows vic.exe is found:
C:\Documents and Settings\ag_user_name\Application
Data\AccessGrid3\local_servicesVideoProducerService\vic.exe
you can change into the directory (or use the path above - enclosed in
quotes) and run it:
vic.exe address/port_num

>  btw, i am using bridging and can send video ok into the bridge but cannot
>  receive any video back from the bridge. tried various bridges.

It seems that the bridge is doing what you want - You mentioned above that you
didn't want to receive video?

If you want to see the video then it may be some issue with the
sending sites and their
connection to the bridge.

>  finally, rat shows signal in the listen window but headphones don't pick
>  up any audio. the windows xp system has built in MS RDP audio driver
>  but sometimes switches to SoundMax HD, but neither seem to allow
>  the headphones to connect to the signal RAT is obviously seeing. not
>  an AG issue but maybe someone can give me a clue.

You can select the appropriate audio device in RAT control menu -
under 'audio'. If
you select the audio device you want then you can chekc RAT has kept the setting
by going back to that page to see if it is still selected.

Once the device is selected - you may need to play with the audio
mixer to get the
right signals coming out the right outputs.

Piers