[AG-TECH] Lastest kernels (Fedora) causing issues with the AG Software

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Sun Jun 22 20:58:47 CDT 2008

Colleagues

This is just a quick email to warm about issues in regards to updating
to the latest kernels in Fedora.

It has been found that using kernels 2.6.25.6-27.fc8 and 2.6.25.4-10.fc8
(Fedora 8) has caused issues in regards to "multiple instances of vic
(producer and service) "locking up".  Basically, only one of the streams
will transmit, whilst the others will lock up.

An interesting side effect is that you cannot manually "kill" the locked
up "vic" process.  Though xkill seems to work.

Additionally, if you add each stream manually (using configure node
service), rather than loading from a configuration, this appears to work
fine.

Will keep you posted when through testing has been conducted and any
possible resolutions found.

Therefore, for now, I recommend not updating your kernel and/or nvidia /
xorg drivers.

We are also investigating whether there are any issues with out "Linux"
variants, but it appears that most other Linux distributions still only
run 2.6.24.xxx kernel, rather than 2.6.25.xxx, which appears to be the
problematic version.

Thanks for your time,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T. (Honours)

Research Systems Support Officer
Information Technology Division
Central Queensland University

Australian Research Collaboration Service
http://www.arcs.org.au/

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au
         jason.bell at arcs.org.au
Work   : +61 7 4930 9229
Mobile : 0409 630897
Postal : Building 19
         Central Queensland University
         Bruce Highway
         Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, 4702
Patience is a virtue.

But if I wanted Patience,
I would have become a Doctor.