[AG-TECH] Using Google Maps to determine GPS location for AG Node listing

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Wed Jun 11 20:27:31 CDT 2008

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Jason Bell wrote:

> For those who have difficulty obtaining correct GPS coordinates as part
> of your node listings, the document "Using Google Maps to determine GPS
> location" as been transferred from AGCentral and can now be found on the
> AG website at http://www.accessgrid.org/node/767.

Google have published their geocoding API, so one can make a simpler
interface. My attempt is below - needs work (the map
doesn't move when
you enter an address), but you can either enter an address, click a map
location, or pan the map and get the coordinates of the center. Plus JS
would let you write the value directly into a Web form.

http://caldav.triumf.ca/google.geo.html?49.2483,-123.2295

You need to sign up for a (free) licence to do this. (to write your own,
I mean, not to use mine)

http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/reference.html#GClientGeocoder

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada