[AG-TECH] AG on the iPhone, anyone?

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 10 14:29:37 CDT 2008

Brad Knowles wrote:

> R. P. C. Rodgers wrote:
>
>>             Had ASKLEPiOS not been shut down (prompting my departure from
>> NLM), trying a port as much as possible of AG to the latest iPhone would
>> certainly have been on our TODO list.  There must be others out there now
>> with this on their minds.  Anyone done a feasability analysis yet? I'd
>> love to hear from you if so...
>
> Well, one problem you'd have is that the iPhone camera faces the wrong
> way, so you wouldn't be able to participate in a bi-directional video
> chat, although you could passively listen/watch video from other sources.
>
> Given that there is already a Mac OS X port for AG, it shouldn't be hard
> to get it to work on the iPhone, which uses most of the same source code
> for the OS.

I don't think the existing MacOS X AG port will be of much use at the moment
on an iPhone port. If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone only supports Cocoa and
not the legacy MacOS/MacOS X Carbon API, so wxPython (used by the AGTk GUI)
and Tcl/Tk (used by vic & rat) would first need to be ported to Cocoa.

Doug