[AG-TECH]AG 3.2 beta 1 web broken link

Brad Knowles bknowles at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jul 23 14:03:32 CDT 2008

David A. Cox wrote:

> Hooray. The links (and software) seem to work great.

I was also able to download the beta via the links at
<http://www.accessgrid.org/software/releases/3.2beta1>.

>                                                       It will be nice to
> be able to test some things from my desktop mac again. I don't think my
> audio is working yet, but I have not had time to track that down yet (I
> think RAT is not seeing my FireWire iSight as a Mic).

This is definitely a big step backwards for me from the previous 10.5
Intel-only alpha.  On that version, I don't think I ever got audio working
quite right, but everything else did work fine.

With this version, I can't get video working at all.  It keeps losing my USB
video class device, and I have to tell AG about it all over again each time
I launch, and even then vic will pull up a pane to show the video, but it's
blank and nothing is being transmitted, not even a loopback to the local client.

I also can't get audio working.  At least rat will pull up a pane and show
me that it sees my headset mic, and the audio level indicator moves as I
speak, but so far as I can tell nothing is actually being transmitted out.

Oh, and none of the system menus work at all.  I can't even pull up the
Apple System Preferences pane without first switching to another application
that will actually allow me to click on the Apple icon.

I'm seeing lots of firewall errors, but although I've enabled all vic, rat,
and AG applications I can find to receive incoming packets, I don't have an
option to allow certain ports to be open for certain application -- the
system determines those automatically.

Do the developers work with all firewall settings completely disabled, and
expect that everyone else in the world should likewise bend over to get
rickrolled?

Do I need to create a screencast to show you guys everything that is going
wrong here?

> Is there a guide on how to install this service on Macs that I am not
> seeing (or a general guide to installing services on AG nodes on Macs)?

Download the .dmg file.  Mount the .dmg file.  Double-click on the installer
icon included in the .dmg file.  Follow the instructions.

Do not move any part of the application to any other location in the system,
because part of the installation process will hard-code paths to things and
nothing will work if you move things around after installation.

That seems to be about as much installation work as needs to be done, at
least in theory.

--
Brad Knowles <bknowles at mail.utexas.edu>
The University of Texas at Austin, Information Technology Services, ITS-Unix