[AG-TECH] Using a Proxy Server with AG3

Ben Green ben.green at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jan 17 03:38:38 CST 2008

Generator Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium) I' m helping this same user get his AG3 client working via a proxy server.

I' ve got him to amend the preferences files, and the client can now connect to the proxy, but a second problem has arisen which may not be fixable. His comment is below:

For staff to access the internet from a local laptop they have to put in the domain/username and then there password. And in most programs where you can put proxy details in there is generally a section for authentication. As there isn' t a section I get a feeling that this just isn' t going to work over our network... Is there a fix, patch or a suggestion to this issue?

Does anyone have any experience of this type of proxy?

Regards, Ben.

From: Horwich, A (Adam) [mailto:A.Horwich at rl.ac.uk]  Sent: 16 January 2008 12:59 To: ben.green at manchester.ac.uk Cc: ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov Subject: RE: [AG-TECH] Using a Proxy Server with AG3

Hi Ben,

Yep it' s been doing it since AG3.1 beta 1 and I have no idea why. The only thing I can do is, if I need to make any preferences changes, to then edit the preferences file and change the proxy port number manually. I submitted a bug on the issue but haven' t had any response yet.

Regards,

Adam.

P.s Sorry about the previous message. Hit the wrong button!!
From: owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov [mailto:owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of Ben Green Sent: 16 January 2008 12:12 To: ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov Subject: [AG-TECH] Using a Proxy Server with AG3

When a proxy server is configured within Tools / Preferences / Network, and a port number is specified, after saving the configuration, this port number is set to zero.

Has anyone else seen this, or does anyone know why this happens?

Regards, Ben.

Ben Green
Access Grid Support Centre
University of Manchester