[AG-TECH] how do I get desktop audio 'into' AG/RAT?

Ben Green ben.green at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Aug 26 05:10:22 CDT 2008

Hi Andrew,  I'm guessing you already know that some sound card drivers allow all the audio output channels to be mixed into the input channel, which is either theMicrophone on a desktop node or Line In on a room node. This is usually a Windows Volume Control recording setting, something like 'Stereo Mix'or 'Wave Out Mix'.  But I don't know how you'd prevent echo, as the incoming audio would end up in the same audio channel as local applications, i.e. the 'Wave' channel.  I agree that 2 sound cards is the best option, getting apps to choose their preferred sound device. You'd then need to physically bridge the Line Out of the app's sounds card into the input of the AG sound card, i.e. using a 3.5mm jack Tee. I'm not sure how this would work out with a desktop node, as you're using the Mic input on the AG sound card, i.e. different levels.  Hope I've got this right!?  Ben.   From: owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov [mailto:owner-ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov] On Behalf Of Andrew Leahy Sent: 25 August 2008 05:30 To: ag-tech Subject: [AG-TECH] how do I get desktop audio 'into' AG/RAT? Hi - this is a tough one because of all the echo/feedback problems. How do sites capture audio from applications on a AG desktop and get it into the AG environment? For example, if I want to share desktop multimedia I can use VPCScreenProducer to inject the video into VIC. But what do I do about audio? the normal audio-out is echo cancelled by the ClearOne or similar device so isn't transmitted into RAT. One idea, that I haven't tried, is to use a second sound device and feed it into the ClearOne or room to be picked up by the line/mic-in on the primary card (where RAT is recording)? But then I have the hassle of figuring how to tell particular apps to use device 2 rather than device 1 for audio. My application is with Linux (FC) desktops, but the same problem would apply to Windows & OS X. Any advice would be welcome. Cheers, Andrew School of Computing & Mathematics University of Western Sydney