[AG-TECH] startup scripts AG3.1 for Fedora 8

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 19 22:14:49 CDT 2008

On 19/08/2008, at 2:06 PM, Enrique Terrazas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have installed AccessGrid 3.1 on Fedora 8 and would like to have
> VenueServer launched on startup.  I did not see any startup scripts
> in /etc/init.d ... does anyone have a startup script they are
> willing to share?  Or are startup scripts included by default and
> I'm just not looking in the correct place?  I will also be running
> a bridge server and registry server on the same machine, so a
> startup script that includes those would be most welcome.  I am new
> to Fedora so I am not that versed in boot time startup scripts for
> the platform.

Enrique,

Attached below are a number of startup scripts for venue & bridge
servers and registry peer. They are based on the scripts that I have
used here for some time on the APAG venue server; its not actually
running Fedora, but I've reworked the scripts to be generic enough
(hopefully) that they can just drop in and work (when suitably
configured) in all the common distributions.

There are two files applicable to each service. All the .conf files
go into /etc/default/ and all these files need some information
entered into them before the real scripts will run (quite minimal
though). The remaining files (the plain agvs, agbs & agregistry) go
into /etc/init.d/ from where you can test them e.g. sudo /etc/init.d/
agvs start (& stop). Each service needs a user account under which to
run and a directory in which to run - these are set in the
appropriate .conf file. The user account to be used should have a
service certificate installed. I'd suggest running each service
manually a few times for testing purposes before enabling them fully
with chkconfig.

Careful viewers will see that I've not used the the convenience
functions especially provided by some distributions for starting &
stopping services. This strategy enables the same scripts to be used
across different distributions. More importantly, it avoids the
"wrong" behaviour by some built in daemon functions when running the
venue server.

chris