[AG-TECH] HD audio & USB audio on Linux?

Piers O'Hanlon p.ohanlon at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 10:04:20 CDT 2008

>  (going a little off topic but anyway) yah, I was looking into alsa for a
> different project not too long ago and was disappointed to see the state of
> the documentation hadn't much improved over the last few years; given its
> change in status to official audio platform for linux one would think the
> doc would be in better shape.
>
>  I am always looking for the theory of operation documents that answer the
> question of "how should I use this API to best make use of the tool, and
> why", rather than the low level call details. I'm often disappointed.

Yeah I totally agree - its a nightmare - I was just going by example -
I used the alsamixer code to fix ALSA mixer code in RAT and had to
look at EKIga and various others to see what (if anything) we were
doing wrong in RAT and seeing how others do it. But the docs a next to
useless as ALSA is pretty complex. I was hoping someone off the ALSA
team might write a book or something. It really takes too much time to
go read the code...

Piers