[AG-TECH] Sony EVI-HD1 camera

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Fri Mar 9 22:36:49 CST 2007

On 10/03/2007, at 4:55 AM, Bruce Curtis wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2007, at 8:55 AM, gurcharan khanna wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I think sending all stream types is a great idea, so the receiver
>> can choose the resolutions
>> needed.
>>
>> A related issue is bandwidth limitations. If I choose to receive
>> 261 instead of HD for that
>> reason, then I may not be able to tolerate all those bits on my
>> network. So, then the issue
>> becomes, how do I tell the source not to even send me the HD
>> stream for instance but only
>> the 261 streams? If the HD and 261 are two separate modules, then
>> that would work. If they
>> somehow are all integrated, maybe then that becomes a problem?
>>
>> -gurcharan
>
>   Two ways to allow the receiver to choose between the streams
> would be to
>
>     1. Send the streams in separate multicast groups.
>
>     2. Use Source Specific Multicast (SSM) and source the streams
> from two different unicast source IP numbers.

Gurcharan,

Our current plan is to use the first of these methods that Bruce
mentions. A twist on the AG toolkit's built in dynamic address
allocation mechanism for new stream types makes this possible. Each
new DV or HDV Producer is allocated a new multicast address. Any new
DV or HDV Consumer is given a list of streams to choose from _before_
subscribing to any of them.

That means that for DV & HDV, there'll be a separate vic instance for
each video source being viewed (as distinct to the default H261 video
services which show all available video sources for a venue in the
same vic instance). This is all sort of working now, but there is a
problem with VenueClients up to v3.0.2 not being updated with new
stream information after initially entering a venue; that will be
fixed for AG 3.1.

chris