[AG-TECH] Sony EVI-HD1 camera

Bruce Curtis bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Fri Mar 9 12:55:04 CST 2007

On Mar 9, 2007, at 8:55 AM, gurcharan khanna wrote:

> All,
>
> I think sending all stream types is a great idea, so the receiver
> can choose the resolutions
> needed.
>
> A related issue is bandwidth limitations. If I choose to receive
> 261 instead of HD for that
> reason, then I may not be able to tolerate all those bits on my
> network. So, then the issue
> becomes, how do I tell the source not to even send me the HD stream
> for instance but only
> the 261 streams? If the HD and 261 are two separate modules, then
> that would work. If they
> somehow are all integrated, maybe then that becomes a problem?
>
> -gurcharan

   Two ways to allow the receiver to choose between the streams would
be to

     1. Send the streams in separate multicast groups.

     2. Use Source Specific Multicast (SSM) and source the streams
from two different unicast source IP numbers.

> Christoph Willing wrote:
>>
>> On 09/03/2007, at 3:49 AM, John I Quebedeaux Jr wrote:
>>
>>> Someone asked me about this camera for HD use on the AG: http://
>>> www.picturephone.com/products/sony_evi_hd1.htm
>>>
>>> Anyone have any experience with it? I'm wondering if it was used,
>>> how to best "capture" it into a system for use on the AG...
>>> interest in using HD is high here. I'm more concerned about
>>> logistical issues with high resolution images on displays that
>>> don't have that much "resolution" space - particularly if several
>>> sites are involved.
>>

>> John,
>>
>> With regard to screen space logistics, we've developed a version
>> of vic that does DV and HDV - full details and perhaps a demo at
>> the forthcoming AG Retreat. One of the changes is the ability to
>> resize the video window(s) to any size you like. Thus you could
>> accomodate several streams at smaller than true HD size when
>> display space becomes tight.
>>
>> BTW, I think that when DV, HDV, HD are all more common in the AG,
>> best practice will be to always send those formats as duplicates
>> of standard H261 streams so that other sites can choose to view
>> their own preferred mix of H261 and higher resolution formats
>> (somewhat avoiding the screen real estate problem you raised, not
>> to mention bandwidth issues). The cameras we've been testing with
>> have a number of simultaneous outputs available so its trivial to
>> send both DV/HDV and H261 at the same time.
>>

>> chris
>>

>> Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
>> QCIF Access Grid Manager
>> University of Queensland
>>

> --
> -------------------------
> Gurcharan S. Khanna, Ph.D.
> Director of Research Computing
> Office of the Vice President for Research
>
> Director, Interactive Collaboration Environments Laboratory,
> Center for the Advancing the Study of Cyberinfrastructure
> ---
> Rochester Institute of Technology
> 1 Lomb Memorial Drive
> Rochester, New York 14623-5603
> Phone: 585-475-7504  ~  Cell: 585-355-1603
> Email: gurcharan.khanna at rit.edu
> Http:  www.rit.edu/~gskpop

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis at ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University