Re [AG-TECH] Tabletop-Room mic with integrated echo canceling

Michael Braitmaier braitmaier at hlrs.de
Thu Jun 21 01:47:13 CDT 2007

Hi Chris!

Christoph Willing schrieb:

> On 21/06/2007, at 7:03 AM, Ed Brannin wrote:
>
>> On 6/20/07, Michael Braitmaier <braitmaier at hlrs.de > wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> [snip]
>> I decided for a solution which is in the beginning a bit more work. I
>> ended up buying the following DSP-EchoCanceler-Board
>>
>> http://www.phnxaudio.com/Default.aspx?tabid=75
>>
>> Basically it does the same as their PCI-Card which however only fits in
>> Desktop-PCs. (see link for information:
>> http://www.accessgrid.org/node/116)
>>
>> We've had a SOHO card for a while, but never installed it until
>> today.  Sadly, it performed just like the hardware listing said:
>>

> The performance description in that particular hardware listing is
> open to wide interpretation -
>     "neither local nor remote sites noticed any audible difference
> from that produced by our standard setup"
> since it depends the status of the "standard setup".
>
> Perhaps the author could elaborate on whether the standard setup
> includes working echo cancellation, or has none.
>

> chris

My experience with the DSP version was good so far, however it needed 1
upto 2  seconds to adapt to new speaker levels, or changed distances
between mic and speaker.
Unfortuanetly the production environment I used it recently, consisted
of an old palazzo in Bologna/Italy which didn't provide the best
accoustic environment due to high rooms with
half-sphere roof charactersistic, which itself already caused a certain
echo or hall effect. So this was not the best opportunity to completely
test echo cancelation.
However we plan to continue the use of the device and I hopefully can
give an update on its echo canceling capability in the future, when we
have more results.
Our intial tests in the office over AG with a room based node however
were  fine.

Michael

--
Dipl.-Inf. Michael Braitmaier