[AG-TECH] Windows XP problem

Ed Brannin edbrannin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 16:20:49 CDT 2007

On 7/18/07, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:

> 07/18/07 13:38:28 1408 Toolkit     config.py:419 ERROR Exception
> configuring fir
> ewall for application: C:\Documents and
> Settings\username_was_here\Application Data\Acce
> ssGrid3\local_services\VideoConsumerService\vic.exe^M
> Traceback (most recent call last):^M
>   File
> "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\AccessGrid3\AccessGrid\Platform\win32\Conf
> ig.py", line 390, in __AppFirewallConfig^M
>     _winreg.KEY_ALL_ACCESS)^M
> WindowsError: [Errno 5] Access is denied^M

Looks like it's trying to make a firewall exception for something, but your
client doesn't have Windows' permission to modify (that part of) the
registry.  Is he running as a limited user, or an administrator?

The line in question is trying to set this Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\%s\AuthorizedApplications\List

...where %s is either "StandardDomain" or "LocalDomain" (AG tries to set
both).

So, I'm guessing it's either:
* He's running as a non-administrator, and doesn't have write access to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
* He's using a registry protector like Spybot Search & destroy, and once
told the program to deny changes from AccessGrid or whatnot.  It's really
easy to click through something like that without really noticing.

He could try upgrading to the 3.1 beta, but that part of the code doesn't
seem to have changed -- at best, maybe it'll give him new warnings that he
can be sure to click "Allow" for.  But first, I'd check if he can run AG as
an administrator.

Since I'm not really sure that's it, I'm going to CC: this to the ag-tech
list.
--
-Ed Brannin
edbrannin at gmail.com