[AG-TECH] TFT Display

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Thu Feb 8 21:09:06 CST 2007

Hi Natalia,

> I was thinking about the idea of replacing the 3proyector+triple screen by
> 3 TFT 46" screens (maybe a crazy idea?). The pros i can think of are:
>
> - No lamps need
> - No natural light affects projection.
> - No unalignment problem
> - Good resolution (in TFTs, not in plasmas)
> - Equal price
> - HD support (in TFTs, not in plasmas)

My workplace has a Sony Bravia 46" LCD with native 1920x1080 resolution, it
isn't capable of being driven at that resolution with an analog VGA cable,
but has no problems with HDMI (1080i or 1080p, 50 or 60Hz). I'm not sure
about other brands. We use a DVI to HDMI cable. Generally, digital DVI/HDMI
cables can't be run as long as the analog VGA cables.

In the case of the native 1080p 46" LCDs, it's more closer to double the
price of a projector. We recently purchased several 3300 ANSI Lumens, SXGA+
(1400 x 1050) resolution Dell projectors for around $US2500 (educational
price) with 3 year next day on site warranty and it's capable of viewing
1080i. A 720p 46" LCD might be closer in price.

Doug