[AG-TECH] Backwards compatibility bug AG3.1 -> AG3.0.2?

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 20 12:58:50 CST 2007

Hi Michael:

I ran across this problem last week also.  The problem arises when the
RemoveData method tries to send the RemoveData event.  The removal
actually succeeds, but users do not receive the associated event, and
the removing user is informed of the failure.  Because this happens on
the server, it will only be fixed by server upgrades.  I have fixed it
in the server for the upcoming 3.1 release.

Tom

More detail for those interested:
The Venue.RemoveData method takes a deserialized DataDescription and
tries to serialize it again when sending the RemoveData event, but ZSI
has added attributes to the DataDescription which cause serialization to
fail.  This is fixed in 3.1 by creating a clean DataDescription on the
server side and sending it out instead.  This problem will arise in
other cases where the server tries to serialize an incoming object;
we'll scrub the code to look for other instances of the problem.