[AG-TECH] node configuration problems with multi-machine node

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Sat Aug 25 06:26:43 CDT 2007

On 25/08/2007, at 12:04 PM, Douglas Kosovic wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> On the command-line, try:
>   vic -D "V4L:/dev/video0" 234.5.6.7/23456
>
> Does it select the correct device? If not, then for some reason, the
> wrong version of vic is being used.

Jim,

If this test works, then here are some more questions:

   1. I think you mentioned in your original post that you could set
up the correct streams but that they went haywire when entering a
venue. What happens if you configure the streams while you're already
in a venue?
   2. Assuming configuration works while in a venue, what happens
when you now change venues
   3. Have you stored the configuration at any time?
   4. If so, what does the stored configuration look like? It should
be on the display machine - on Windows I  believe its at:
	C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\AccessGrid\Config
\nodeConfig
In particular, are the video devices named correctly?

chris

> What is the output of 'vic -v'? It should also contain "VIC
> 2.8ucl1.3.0" (i.e UCL SUMOVER vic) and not "VIC 2.8ucl-1.1.3-AG" (i.e.
> ANL AG vic).
>
>> Nope, no dice. I deleted the node config on display, and removed the
>> Video directories from ~/.AccessGrid3/local_services/ Same thing. I
>> definately have different devices selected in the node config. Though
>> one thing that I think is strange is that I only have 4 capture
>> cards,
>> and 8 listed devices when adding a node service...
>
> UCL vic from the Sumover SVN repository supports both Video4Linux and
> V4L2, while ANL AG vic only supports V4L.
>
> The Ubuntu AG 3.02 AccessGrid package appears to have the new AG 3.1
> video device detection code back-ported to it. The new code will
> qualify
> the device with a V4L and/or V4L2 prefix. So if a video device
> claims to
> support both the V4L and V4L2 API, it will appear twice.
>
>> V4L:/dev/video3
>> V4L:/dev/video2
>> V4L:/dev/video1
>> V4L:/dev/video0
>> V4L2:/dev/video3
>> V4L2:/dev/video2
>> V4L2:/dev/video1
>> V4L2:/dev/video0
>>
>> I seem to remember in the past the devices were only listed as /
>> dev/videoX
>> and there definately wasn't 2 per device. Either way... if I pick the
>> V4L or the V4L2, I get the same result.
>

> Doug

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland