Large LCDs, 1920x1080 over VGA? (was Re: [AG-TECH] TFT Display)

Ed Brannin edbrannin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:56:39 CDT 2007

Hello,

We're trying to wall-mount a pair of LCDs for use with AG and the
like; with 8 feet of horizontal room, we could mount a pair of ceratin
46' models next to each other.  Since we want it to look pretty, our
computer will probably be in a different part of the room, with cables
going through the ceiling.

In particular, we're looking at a Sony Bravia 46" KDL-46V2500, which
runs for about $3200, wth plenum VGA cables to run through the ceiling
to near the wall-mounts.  However, I just noticed this:

> Douglas Kosovic wrote:
> My workplace has a Sony Bravia 46" LCD with native 1920x1080 resolution, it
> isn't capable of being driven at that resolution with an analog VGA cable,

Is that a universal restriction (meaning we'd have to find a way to
get DVI or HDMI across the ceiling), or it is only an issue with some
models?  If the latter, how would I now what models work at 1920x1080
over VGA?

> but has no problems with HDMI (1080i or 1080p, 50 or 60Hz). I'm not sure
> about other brands. We use a DVI to HDMI cable. Generally, digital DVI/HDMI
> cables can't be run as long as the analog VGA cables.

We wouldn't need more than a 50' cable, but I'm not aware of
Plenum-rated DVI or HDMI.  Do such things exist?  If not, are there
any options beside DVI-over-cat5?

> In the case of the native 1080p 46" LCDs, it's more closer to double the
> price of a projector. We recently purchased several 3300 ANSI Lumens, SXGA+
> (1400 x 1050) resolution Dell projectors for around $US2500 (educational
> price) with 3 year next day on site warranty and it's capable of viewing
> 1080i. A 720p 46" LCD might be closer in price.

I've actually found a bunch of suitable-looking LCDs in the same price
range as our $3k Dell 1050p projector.  Is there something wrong with
these, that would make a $4800 LCD (the Sharp 46" PN465U) worth the
extra $2k?

Thank you,
-Ed Brannin
Lab manager, RC at RIT