[AG-TECH] High End Portable Access Grid System

Fred Dech fdech at uchicago.edu
Tue Apr 17 11:52:33 CDT 2007

Hi Darren.

As part of the CBC (Chicago Biomedical Consortium) we've put together
a somewhat flexible, mobile system.  We have both a Windows GP
(Dell Precision 690) system and a Mac Pro system.  And we run with one
or the other as the node.  We're still in the process
of spec'ing an 80/20 enclosure for a cart that we will transport to various
places on campus.

We envisioned this node to accommodate small groups ( < 10 people) in fairly
small spaces.  Our planned deployment is the Mac with two 30" displays or
the PC driving two or three tiny NEC LT20 projectors.
This node does not work will in larger groups due to the dual AccuMic PC
audio system.  An audio DSP with multiple inputs and microphones would be the
ticket there.  That's not what we were aiming for, though,  so as long as
we are strict about the space and number of people, the AccuMics do a
satisfactory job.

Our Dell onboard audio seems to exhibit the same instability with RAT that
Cindy Sievers mentioned last week.  RAT on the PC dies at least once during
a 2 hour AG session.

Once we finish spec'ing and construct the cart enclosure, we'll have a
nice little system that fits in most elevators and through most doors (the
cart is 27" x 47") and be somewhat weatherproof.

My biggest disappointment is that the Mac Pro will not tolerate multiple
IEEE 1394a DV inputs of the type we had planned (DAC200 DV from Sony EVI D100
svideo source).  It will handle 2 iSights.  It will handle one DV and one
iSight.  But that's it.  Video capture cards for a Mac Pro?  I'm all
ears.

--fred