[AG-TECH] update - AG3 for Debian/Ubuntu

Christoph Willing willing at vislab.uq.edu.au
Sat Apr 7 20:16:44 CDT 2007

On 07/04/2007, at 11:37 AM, Christoph Willing wrote:

> On 06/04/2007, at 5:23 AM, Christoph Willing wrote:
>

>> On 05/04/2007, at 11:25 PM, Derek Piper wrote:
> [snip]
>>> 	Also, I was wondering if these packages play nice with the
>>> AccessGrid 2.4 release from Steve Smith? I have those installed
>>> too and I'd like to be able to run both, but I'm not seeing any
>>> sort of indiciation of a compatibility add-on like there is for
>>> the RedHat/Fedora packages.
>>
>> I hadn't tried that, but did so just now (is it really 2.4? I
>> could only find 2.3). It looks like there's a name clash for
>> Quickbridge, so its probably easiest if I make a change in the AG3
>> packaging - later on today. I was hoping to to avoid an extra
>> compat package but ...
>>

>> Until then you'd have to deinstall your AG2 package to try the AG3
>> package.
>

> Derek,
>
> I've just updated the accessgrid & pyopensslag packages to remove
> the namespace clashes with the AG2.3 package (turned out to be
> several apart from QuickBridge). After an apt-get update or a
> Synaptic "Reload", the AG3 package will install alongside a pre-
> existing 2.3 installation. Please note that the order is important
> - if you must have both versions installed, the AG2.3 package
> should be installed first, then the AG3 package.
>
> _However_, the AG3 version will not run now due to the presence of
> 2 versions wxgtk - wxgtk2.4 is a dependency of AG2.3 and wxgtk2.6
> is a dependency of AG3 and they won't work together properly (looks
> like AG2 still runs OK though).
>
> A possible solution is to rebuild the AG2.3 version to use wxgtk2.6
> and I've emailed the AG2.3 maintainer Steve Smith about this
> possibility. Unfortunately, he's left USydney so may not see the
> email and AFAIK is not involved in AG anymore anyway so ....

Derek,

In the meantime, I found a way to repackage the existing AG2.3 .deb
and change the dependencies without a complete rebuild - the new
version ran OK with wxgtk2.6, as we need it to, but it couldn't
connect to any venues i.e. useless.

However I was able to use the same technique to use an existing AG2.4
package (built for another Linux distribution) to construct a new
AG2.4 .deb package. This works properly and it more or less works
together with a new AG3 package I have in progress. There are some
kinks (not bugs) still to be ironed out before I can release them,
but I can't work on that for a few days i.e. they should be available
sometime this coming week.

> BTW, to properly deinstall the AG2.3 package, the packages:
>     accessgrid2.3
>     wxgtk2.4
should be libwxgtk2.4

>     wxgtk2.4-python
should be libwxgtk2.4-python

>     globusdatamanaggcc32gcc32dbgpthr3.0.2
> should all be removed. Then, AG3 can be installed (with better
> features anyway)

Until the new packages are ready, you could still try the existing
AG3 package if you properly deinstall your AG2.3 package (as above -
note corrections). You can always reinstall the AG2.3 package if you
need to, but you may find the facilities in AG3 too good to want to

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland