[AG-TECH] Echo from US sites

Michael Miller mimiller at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 26 15:28:25 CDT 2006

Joseph,

Once RAT is started, the venue servers play no role in communicating
audio data.  So you can remove them from consideration.  Look more
closely at what's going on with each sites' sound card.  The AC97 chip
that exists in most sound cards has a loopback that needs to be muted.
Usually, this can be done by opening the (Windows)Volume Control panel
and muting the Microphone channel listed in the playback items.(Why it's
there I don't know...).  I've also had reason to bring the volume slider
on that channel down to 0.  On Linux there's a loopback channel labeled
more precisely and this should be treated the same.

Beyond that, the problem would lie in the network, though I've never
seen the network -cause- echo.  It's usually in the sound card.

Let me know when you experience the problem and I can drop in and take a
listen if I'm available.

myk

--
Thanx,

Michael Miller
System Engineer
Video Technology Services
Persistent Infrastructure Directorate
University of Illinois - UC
217-649-0747

"If you're clear in your vision and trust the people in your team with clear objectives, they will invariably do their best to achieve everything desired, and usually deliver everything you could have hoped for and even more." -Paul Debevec