[AG-TECH] Scaling the multicast mountain - Part 2: what do I need to ask the NOC

Jennifer Teig von Hoffman jtvh at bu.edu
Tue May 23 11:12:49 CDT 2006

Hi Thad,

Yup, I'm sure the ability to ping off-campus will be a step in the right direction! ;)

You might want to take a look at this document, and/or send it along to your networking staff:

http://www.accessgrid.org/?q=node/20

You're right that just asking for multicast isn't enough detail -- there are real issues with port access that will likely be an issue if you're behind a firewall. Many of us end up in the DMZ as a result, though there are other successful approaches.

Cheers,
Jennifer