[AG-TECH] Firewall Ports and Test Venues

R. P. Channing ["Rick"] Rodgers rodgers at nlm.nih.gov
Fri Feb 10 10:47:23 CST 2006

Sadly, you're going to find that that document is not enough to do the job.
It omits specific prots for a number of key applicatioins, including
vic and rat.  I posted a one-page summary of port usage a couple of months
back, extracted from the longer document on the AG web site, which was recast
by another list member in the form of a Excel spreadsheet.  I've been lobbying
for us to have a COMPLETE one-page summary of all ports used -- I think it's
critical to making AG fly in the real world, where we often have to deal with
very strict and anxious network security managers.  We still have no way of
handing them a sheet of paper and saying, "here are the ports we need, and
what services will be running on each of them".

Cheers, Rick Rodgers

> From: Jim Summers <jsummers at bachman.cs.ou.edu>
> To: agTech <ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov>
> Subject: Re: [AG-TECH] Firewall Ports and Test Venues
>
> Jennifer Teig von Hoffman wrote:
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > You don't mention which docs you've looked at, so I wonder whether
> > you've seen this one yet?
> >
> >     http://www.accessgrid.org/agdp/guide/ports.html
> >
> > It's got a reasonably good overview of port issues for AG. There
> > certainly are plenty of them!
>
> Excellent.   Being new to all of this I hadn't realized that each server
> may use different ports.  Fortunately it seems that the server
> maintainers do publish the prot info for connecting.
>
> Thanks again,
> jim
>

> --
> Jim Summers
> School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma

R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D. * rodgers at nlm.nih.gov * (301)435-3267 (voice, fax)
OHPCC, LHNCBC, U.S. National Library of Medicine, NIH
Bldg 38, Rm. B1N-30F2, 8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda MD 20894 USA
http://lhc.nlm.nih.gov/staff/rodgers/rodgers.html